What do you think children can learn from using computers in an informal collaborative setting? Come up with some ideas before scrolling down.
I found a study online which explores the ways in which learning to master educational computer programs can promote problem-solving transfer. The study revealed that children who use educational software may learn content knowledge about computer literacy, comprehension skills for understanding instructions, planning skills for learning new games, and some basic academic skills.
This study consisted of:
Elementary school children, often from low-income homes. The program took place after school hours and was not associated with the child's school. Participation was voluntary and there was no traditional teacher-student structure. In the program, there were many opportunities for writing and creative expression.Students wrote messages to a mythical Wizard using a word processor and received written responses. Collaborative learning took place when children worked together or with adult mentors called Wizard's Assistants.
The researchers sought out to answer the question: Does learning to use computers--or more specifically, learning to use educational software on computers--improve a child's mind?
The researchers gave results in four main categories: Effects of Computer Experience on Computer Literacy, Effects of Computer Experience on Comprehension Skills, Effects of Computer Experience on Game-Playing Skills, and Effects of Computer Experience on Academic Skills
A few of the interesting results were:
- solid evidence that experience in an educational computing environment results in gains in specific computer knowledge
- students may learn specific facts and procedures that are relevant to operating computers
- Overall, across three different measures of language comprehension skill, students who had figured out how to use a wide variety of educational computer games tended to have developed better comprehension skills than equivalent students who had not learned to play educational computer games
- Learning to use educational software--particularly a wide variety of educational games--may help students develop effective problem-solving strategies
- students who are exposed to a wide variety of educational computing experiences develop skill in comprehension and planning that can transfer to new situations
- students who had extensive computer experience outscored their peers on improvement over their prior year's score on both reading and mathematics achievement
- participation in an educational computing environment results in far transfer--that is, in learning that goes beyond simple retention of specific computer facts and procedures
These results show the numerous benefits of computer use for our students and the ways in which their computer knowledge can help them in other academic subjects and skill sets. Experience with technology seems to encourage important cognitive changes in children. The fact that educational technology can assist students with comprehending written instructions, devising problem-solving techniques, and improving their academic skills is quite impressive! We as teachers need to realize that there are different ways to work on improving the skills of our students, technology is a useful, fun way in which to do this!!
To find the full study, search here:
http://www.education.miami.edu/blantonw/5dclhse/publications/tech/mayer_schustak_blanton.html
Thanks for the information and for making me think before I read. I like the idea of a driving question at the beginning of a reading.
ReplyDeleteThe study summary that you provide seems quite good. I enjoy using technology in education, however, I wonder if the lack of a control group that did not use technology but just wizards leads us to question the results. Now, I believe that if tech is a tool to get the students learning then we should use it. But I also believe that good educators are far more important than the use of a tool. Technology is also a tool that can have so many different roles in education. I do not believe that educators have had a tool that can encompass so many aspect of learning. I agree that when you couple education with technology the possibilities increase.
Stephanie - I find the results very interesting. I wonder if the results are not necessarily a result of technology, but simply a result of enabling a student the opportunity to explore. It is easy as educators to say, "you need to know this about this program/technology". Yet in doing so, we limit what students learn. I believe - regardless of the tool - that students will increase learning when allowed to explore using the tool.
ReplyDelete